Yes, if you are 50 years or older, particularly if you live in Southern and Eastern Europe where the highest rates of hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection have been reported, you should talk to your doctor or other health-care provider to get an HCV test. Many people were infected between the 1930s and the 1980s due to unsafe injection use in many countries. The blood test is accurate, and treatment is available that can eliminate the viral infection with healing of the liver and prevention of cancer. You should also be tested at any age if you have doubts about any previous injection or procedure, or if you are or were an intravenous drug user.